Friday, February 9, 2018

Fanny Mail: A Question About Art


Kiddies, I continue to make progress on the box of old Fanny Mail. This letter arrived in 2014 from Andrea Schmidt of Boston, Massachusetts. Andrea writes: "Dear Grandmother Winsome, every week my child brings home a drawing she made in kindergarten. Not one of them is any good, but I don't have the heart to tell her. Should I hire a professional art critic to give her proper feedback? Also, she keeps asking why I haven't put any of her pictures on the refrigerator. Do I need to be honest with her?"

Well, Andrea, while I understand your reluctance to display any bad art in a prominent spot in your home, you don’t want to discourage your child at so young an age, for that could lead to bigger problems down the road. One solution is to tell your child that you are hanging up her drawings at work so that you can look at them throughout the day. (Just remember to not take part in Bring-Your-Daughter-To-Work Day.) As for hiring a professional art critic, I suggest that instead you use that money to purchase a small refrigerator to place in the basement where you can display her art without having to see it often yourself. Then you can use that extra refrigerator to store soda or other items you like to stock up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment