Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Jane's Volunteer Work


This morning the head of the rehab clinic where I've been volunteering pulled me aside and expressed concern that the course I've been giving the female patients might not be appropriate. I assured her that this week's class would be my last and that its subject, "Looking To The Future," would be in line with the rehab clinic's goals, and she gave me the green light to go ahead with it.

I managed to wrap up this week's class in a single day, and covered all these topics:
  • Moving in with a man in order to stay off the streets
  • Keeping your options open by terminating unwanted pregnancies 
  • Getting money by befriending rich, elderly people
  • Maintaining a youthful outlook through plastic surgery
  • Installing a cold storage vault in your home to protect your furs 
  • Avoiding future troubles by choosing a fresh start at a new location where no one knows you

I had a new student in my class today, a young woman who had just admitted herself to the clinic this morning. She approached me after class and told me she remembered this course from the women's center a few years ago. When I expressed my surprise that she was at a rehab clinic that caters to the wealthy, she explained that since meeting me at the women's center, she had taken my advice and had landed herself a nice rich boyfriend. With all the excitement of her new life, some of her old habits had resurfaced, and he had given her an ultimatum: Dry out or move out. So she checked herself in. To celebrate the young woman's success, I shared one of the small travel bottles of gin that I had in my purse. And I wished her well.

On my way out, I told the head of the rehab clinic that my work there was done, but that I might pop in from time to time to lend a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment