Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Cindy's Job At The Birch Street Nursing Home


I had just put on my Mrs. Wintergreen costume and was getting ready to go out trick-or-treating when Grandmother told me she received an email from the head nurse at the Birch Street Nursing Home, asking if I could work this evening. Grandmother assured me I would receive my regular full day's pay of ten dollars even though I'd be there for fewer hours. I kept my costume on, thinking I'd still have time for a bit of trick-or-treating on the way home. My costume was a hit with the patients, who went along with my act, one of them even telling me, "If you're nice to that little girl Cindy, she'll give you a second helping of medicine." The only problem was when Mrs. Patterson attacked me with one of her shoes, yelling, "Mrs. Shimshack, give me back my stuff, you old hag!" It took me several moments to convince her that I was Mrs. Wintergreen, a new patient at the Birch Street Nursing Home. By the time I had finished the list of chores left for me by the head nurse, it was too late for any trick-or-treating. All the houses were dark as I walked home.

No comments:

Post a Comment