Monday, November 23, 2015

Fanny Mail: A Question From The Coroner's Office


Kiddies, I just received an email marked "URGENT." Matt Finley writes: "I work as a deputy coroner in Las Vegas. I got the paperwork on a young man who'd died, and tried several times throughout the morning and early afternoon to reach his family by phone. We are not allowed to leave messages concerning deaths, so my boss told me to drive by their home to break the news. Well, I ended up at the wrong apartment, but coincidentally the family there had a son with the same name as the deceased. The mother understandably burst into tears, and I did my best to console her. It wasn't until I got back to the office that I realized my mistake. Michael Johnson is such a common name, but still I can't be responsible for there being two Michael Johnsons in the same apartment complex. However, my boss is unlikely to view the situation in that light, and because I was late to work a few times in the past month, I don't want to risk admitting the error. What should I do?"

Well, Matt, it's unhealthy to interrupt the grieving process, especially with news that might provide yet another shock. Admitting the error could also provide your boss with possible grounds for your dismissal. So I think you know what you need to do. The parents are going to require their son's body as they make preparations for the funeral. And this needs to be taken care of soon, before he gets home or contacts them. Don't let an honest mix-up signal the end of a promising and enjoyable career.

No comments:

Post a Comment