Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Fanny Mail: A Legal Argument


Kiddies, today I received a delightful email from David Martin of Abilene, Texas. David writes: "Dear Grandmother Winsome, I have been a fan of yours for nearly a decade. Lately I've been thinking about one bit of legal advice you posted back in 2013. You advised that if someone has been caught disposing of a body, he should tell the judge that to save the court’s time, he’d be willing to plead guilty to the lesser charge of littering. Do you think the same logic would allow me to plead guilty to petty theft instead of facing three counts of kidnapping?"

Well, David, first let me say what a pleasure it is to hear from a longtime fan. And yes, you make a perfectly valid point, which any reasonable judge should recognize. Plus, as I understand it, courts are still backed up due to the pandemic, so even the most unreasonable judge should be happy to accept your plea so he can move on to more serious cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment