Monday, August 24, 2026
Fanny Mail: A New Contest In California
Today I received a letter from Vera Worthington of Santa Rosa, California. Vera writes: "Dear Grandmother Winsome, the other day I read about an ugly dog contest, and it got me thinking. My daughter Shauna is not pretty. She's also not smart or athletic. She has no aptitude for baking, and has no skill in any artistic area. She's never won any awards, or even come close. I want her to excel at something, so I decided to create the World's Ugliest Child contest, following the model of the ugly dog contest. I thought it would be a fun way for children of a certain level to meet each other, and for their parents to have something to boast about. I know it sometimes takes these things a while to catch on, but I was disappointed that not a single other parent entered a child in my contest. My daughter won, but it wasn't as much fun for her as I'd hoped. In fact, she seems really down. What can I do to make this contest more of a success next year?"
Sweetie, you can use your daughter to promote it. Have her pose in her crown and sash, or whatever she received as a prize, and post those photos on a website dedicated to the competition. And when it gets closer to the time, have posters made up with your daughter's image, and hang them in all the prominent businesses in town. It will be a way not only to get the word out about your new contest, but also a way to raise your daughter's spirits.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment